Monday 7 September 2015

Literature Review - Pedagogy in Dance

I came across this video which links to my Inquiry question on how I would like to influence my  students in dance.

How to use Pedagogy in Dance
Uploaded on 22 Mar 2011
Education Director Yvonne H. Chow talking to her students during the BLADE Dance Technique® Class (Dance Theory and Dance Heuristics) lecture. She prefaced this starting with the heuristic process and learning styles of different people and then explained how to use the pedagogical approach in relation to dance classes taken outside of the conservatory:

 
 
I believe that the way in which people approach dance is completely individual and dependent on their knowledge before hand or lack of knowledge. This dictates the varied approach within the class by all students as they all see, understand and experience information, instruction, movement, choreography in different ways.
The part that strikes me the most is when Yvonne H, Chow talks about how no one is taught how to learn dance. This encouraged me to look further into my inquiry question of how to explain/put across dance in a variety of learning styles for students to find their preferred way of understanding and learning dance.
As a student I remembered struggling with rhythm and their were so many ways in which I have found help me later on in my career from trial and error. However if those tools are put in place at a young age there will be less confusion and more understanding dance students.
In some cases the idea of trying to cater for everyone is tough and you may not have the answers and tools for specific students, but by having a presence an informative approach and by asking questions at the appropriate time, something may shift in the students mind which may unlock a certain part of confusion to understand a small part of what they are trying to achieve.
 
I believe that as a dance teacher the pedagogy within dance is varied and can be hard to teach if other students have had previous training under a different pedagogy. Nevertheless, with the different learning styles and tools I hope to look further into, this could be understood, stripped back and changed in a shorter space of time.
 



1 comment:

  1. How does this point of view relates to others? what is the context of Chou's views on dance pedagogy?
    I found this form a quick google about heuristics and dance http://digitalcommons.colum.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=theses_dmt

    ReplyDelete