Friday 8 May 2015

Critical Reflection for Professional Practitioner Inquiry


Looking back on module one I gained  an interest in certain issues that arose from my journal and blogs and once I had addressed each question, I could see where my passion and interest remained,  Appendix A. I automatically found an interest when looking at theorists and the ways in which people learn whilst linking them to  my time as a student  Appendix B.

I wanted to base my research on ways to enhance my dance teaching and how to benefit my students. I had  accomplished a three year  physically intensive course in Musical Theatre where  I received  training from the best and I wanted to be able to pass this information on to my students and I have found that  by undertaking  my research it has given me an  understanding of how to incorporate my experience within my teaching in an exciting way to benefit my students.

I have experienced a variety of teaching styles and I would like my students to also experience the variety in order to help advance them as dancers. It would mean that by looking into different learning styles I could try to incorporate them within each dance class. I also wanted to cater for children with Dyspraxia and Cerebral Palsy by incorporating any students who are affected by these disabilities/learning difficulties into my research, which in turn would, enable inclusion within the classes I provide (Appendix C).

To be certain that I had selected the correct Award Title for myself I looked into each avenue that I would like to pursue. I have spoken to a Head Teacher of a school and also looked into the ISTD qualifications to ensure that my title is acceptable for each of the routes I plan to follow, see Appendix D.

Ethics for my Inquiry

When looking into Ethics I already had an insight as to what is needed (Appendix E) and I have also looked into the ethics of dance associations (Appendix F). When looking into the ways  ethics relates to my Inquiry (Appendix G) I  realised how important the confidentiality of children needed  to be even though I need to be able to incorporate my findings within my work, see Appendix H

I will also be incorporating two SEN children within my inquiry, and I will need to consider ethics for them. (See Appendix I)

Tools I will use during my Inquiry

To be confident in the tools I have chosen, I found the merits and limits of each and  based my decision on the specific tools I will gain the best information/feedback from, see Appendix J.

I then looked into the structure of my Interview and Questionnaires and carried out a pilot Interview (Appendix K) and pilot Questionnaire (AppendixL)  to fully understand what worked and what didn’t. I have yet to conduct my pilot observation but I have been fortunate enough to teach and observe students dancing for a long time.

Conclusion

Module two has been an eye opener and has enhanced my research  allowing me to gain further information. I will continue to gain more knowledge from a variety of literature which will give me more information of how to enhance my practice as a dance teacher by combining pedagogy and creativity to prepare for module three.

1 comment: