Thursday 20 November 2014

Task 3A: Current Networks

Networking!!

Image taken from quakersyard.co.uk
I have used networking for such a long time for various things that I have been involved in and ran or I have used it for personal use. More recently I have done more and more networking which has been successful. From a young age I have watched my mother evolve her own business, with this I have seen how much work goes into connecting with people and getting a good name out there.
 
Since being on the course (BAPP (Arts)) I have already gained more social networking along the way, such as; a blog, Flickr account and a g-mail email account. All of these accounts are going to aid me in the future and allow me to broaden my connections and audience.
 

What sources of Networking do I use?

I do a lot on-line as I prefer to get in touch with people via social media or email and as it is easier to keep people up to date via the web. However I also use letters, flyers, text messaging and face to face meets or discussions as well. I always think that the way of communication depends on what it is for and what information you are needing to pass on or ask about.
 

The Tools of Networking

When reading through the reader I came across many tools which I have used without realising what I really are;
 

Cooporation

Definition - (noun) the action or process of working together to the same end.
 
I have used this tool in a few areas of work. Just recently I have started up my own Zumba taster sessions but I wanted them to be free for people to come along and see what it is about and how I run my classes. Prior to this I got into contact and cooperated with the church secretary to ask how much the hire of the hall would be. This worked well as they realised what I wanted to do and they listened to what I wanted to happen in the future. This was great as we put both our heads together and come to an agreement face to face. I had to do this for my theatre school workshop in the summer, 'Step onto Stage' as well.
I also have been cooperating with two schools to be able to hold Zumba classes in there halls as well as to begin my own theatre school on a regular basis. This is going very well and I will be having a meeting with the schools business manager to arrange prices. They have also been kind enough for me to promote my Zumba taster sessions as well, which has really broadened my target market.
 

Affiliation

Definition - (noun) the state or process of affiliating or being affiliated.
 
Affiliate Definition - (verb) officially attach or connect (a subsidiary group or a person) to an organization.
 
I have done this  just recently, as I help teach my old dance teacher Ballet from the grades pre-primary to grade 8. This was an agreement with each other face to face and over the phone, as she wanted help but I also wanted to learn the syllabus in order for me to be able to take my teaching exam in RAD. With doing this it has opened up another exciting experience for myself to teach adult ballet as a new class in January 2015.
I have also asked one of my friends from Bird College to come and help me in the February break with Step onto Stage, which is me asking here to affiliate with my business/performing arts school for the week. I did this over the phone.
 

Social Constructionism

Definition - Social constructionism or the social construction of reality (also social concept) is a theory of knowledge in sociology and communication theory that examines the development of jointly constructed understandings of the world.
 
This is one that I haven't done much of but have put into practise this evening. Its the idea of looking outwards at the larger community.
 
This evening I had my final Zumba taster session which I asked if they wanted to give me any feedback on ideas to make the class better, easier to follow or for me to take other courses that they were interested in. This allowed them to have their voice on the up and coming classes. Here are the ideas and feedback I was given;
 
- To do a Zumbini course (mother and baby classes)
- That the 40mins I did was a great length as it wasn't too long and dragging but was intense enough to feel like a great workout.
- That my enthusiasm was great and kept someone going.
- I may need a headset if I am not raised higher for people to follow.
 
This was a great way to communicate as I felt that they were involved and I was taking on board what they wanted, which is important.
 

Connectivism

Definition - Connectivism is a hypothesis of learning which emphasizes the role of social and cultural context.
 
In the 21st century everyone is always connecting with someone whether it be socially, for work purpose etc. I love to use social network and am guilty of having my phone attached to my hand most of the time. I have many different ways I connect;
- Facebook
- Email
- Text
- Phone call
- Blog
- Skype
 
Most recently the main way I contact people is via my blog and Skype for the BAPP. This is a new way for me (especially blogging) as I am just starting to get to grips with how it all works.
I don't know how businesses would survive without Connectivism as it is the root to most successful businesses.
 

Networking through Blogs (Ethical considerations for Networking)

During my blogging process I have been able to connect with people on the same course with the same interests as myself. This has lead to deep discussions on what I have posted a blog about or what others have posted about. This scholarly process is becoming essential for those, like myself, who are distance learning and keeping in contact with fellow peers and lecturers.
 
Martin Weller suggests that “It is not just the internet that is significant in terms of networks
but, more recently, the advent of social networks that is having an influence on scholarly practice” (2011, p.7). Weller, Martin (2011) The Digital Scholar, London: Bloomsbury.
 
This interested me as I know a lot of work is online and even when I took my IT GCSE all of my tasks and coursework was all online. As fantastic as this is, it is also a danger because if the system crashes no work/little work can be done.
 

Comparing my Networks to others

Here is my Zumba website I have created;
 
 
This website is no where near completed but it is a start for people to look at and watch it grow as the classes begin in the January. This website is on all my flyers, business cards and facebook page. When starting this out I looked at a successful Zumba instructors website which I aspire for mine to look like in the near future. Hers was full of information and pictures of classes and events she has held, along with many qualifications she has taken. I know I keep looking at it to refer to, (Reflective Observer) to know if I am on the right lines to a welcoming website that looks professional and exciting which draws people in to want to do a MY Zumba class.
 
I am beginning to look at my own Theatre school/dance school website however I am reluctant to opening one as I am not fully developed as a teacher and cannot offer my services in the way I would want to yet.
 
As a performer I would love to have my own website which I can showcase myself on, with show reels and voice reels as well as my CV. This would benefit me as an artist as I could give my website name to directors, choreographers etc. or have my own business cards made to hand out at any opportunity I get.
 
As a successful performing arts/dance teacher I would like to have an unforgettable website which has so much excitement in it as well as information on what I do, this would be accompanied with a Facebook page to reach out to a wider audience. This would also be backed up by flyers, posters, business cards as well as putting on many events with the students. This would show the community what I can do in an exhilarating performance based way.
 

What did I struggle with?

I know that when it came to writing on my flyers and business cards for Zumba I didn't know whether to put my mobile number down. I know that it would be an easier way to contact however if they are being given out all over Coventry I don't know who will have them, once I had thought about this I decided to just have my website and email address on them. This decision was made on my past experiences. I had many people text me 24/7, this proved a problem because if I was busy or on holiday it found it difficult to ignore text messages but with an email I know that the email is for work as I use that account for just that.
 

What would I like to know about networking?

I would like to know about Twitter as I use to have it but I disabled it after it was hacked twice before. Is this site safe enough?
I would like to research and see how other people network and take ideas from others.
 

 



1 comment:

  1. A lot in this blog Kirstie - you are into the 'fray' of Web 2.0 which has moved in to technology enhanced learning - which has mvdd into 'business as usual' because now we are almost all online- some good staring points about networking here - connectivity versus always being on call - your own website - ethical practice and professional presence - keep us up to date as you think and compare practice.

    ReplyDelete