Wednesday 19 November 2014

Journal writing Experience

I began my Journal experience way back on the 30th October and really looked into how each style of writing worked better for me!

I have never kept a diary or a journal before and wondered how I was to begin one and wondered what was I to write about? Once I looked into Task 2B it started to become clearer as the questions I needed to ask myself were already there in different styles of writing so I could reflect on my whole day or a certain event that day in different ways. This really helped me however,certain styles of writing got me thinking more than others as they used different questions. In certain styles certain questions also benefitted me as well but not all the questions or the way to think.
Here is what I thought;

Description

I found that I wrote a lot when describing my day as I was going over what had happened and where etc.. I felt that I was restricted to acknowledge how I felt and what my thoughts were on certain points/events during the day.

Initial Reflection

I found this a really helpful way to get everything out of my brain just before I went to bed and I was able to write down the emotions I wanted to let out at certain points of the day. I enjoyed this style as it got me to think a lot and write quiet a bit but not too much that it became a chore. I was also able to let out my own thoughts that have been going on in my mind as well as let go of my emotions.

List

I could not get on with this style of writing as I couldn't say what I wanted to and it just seemed very short and not to the point. At certain points I wanted to elaborate on an event but as a 'list' I felt like I couldn't express myself in a way like the 'Initial Reflection' allowed me, because when I think of lists I think of small bullet-points that are jotted down.

Evaluation

This was great to acknowledge how things went but then elaborate on what didn't work as well as discovering new things that day. I would of liked to of been able to share my feelings towards certain events as well as acknowledging what has happened during the day, however this style of writing broadened my mind and I want to take o board the questions 'What did you think went well?' and 'What worked?'.

Graphs, charts and diagrams

When looking at this style of writing before starting my journal I was confused as to how I was going to reflect in this way, but something clicked once I approached it and I really enjoyed drawing a graph and marking on certain things. I couldn't believe how much I liked this style as well as it being fun. Visually I could see where the up's and down's were in an event which was an easier way rather than reading a few paragraphs. I would really like to carry on this style at certain points within my journal.

What if?

I didn't enjoy this style of writing as it wasn't focusing on that specific day, but was making you think 'what could of happened?'. I don't feel like I reflected at all in this process and I only wrote down ideas of what I wish could of happened instead of what did happen that day.

Another View

This is another style that I didn't benefit as much from. This was because I was always finding faults with myself during the day and not anything constructive. At some point I was chuffed with myself as I acknowledge something which I did that I was happy about. Overall I do not think I would use this as it took time for me to think what another person thought of myself that day as I am such a perfectionist and always think I can do better.
 

Overall

I have come to the conclusion I will carry on to use 'Initial Reflection' and 'Graphs, charts and diagrams' along with certain questions used in the 'Evaluation' style. This will help me to really think every night about my day in the ways which I am best suited to as well as having fun and unloading everything in my journal.


2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you found Graphs and Charts a useful tool - I definitely didn't! However when I did this particular task I didn't find lists useful yet I've found that as I've continued with my journal I have used lists a couple of times when thinking about various aspects of both my day and my professional practice. Obviously everyone approaches this from different perspectives and different styles of learning and reflection, so it's good to see what works for other people.
    I found this task really interesting and useful: I used to write a diary when I was a teenager and I've surprised myself with how much I've got back into it. I carry it with me all the time and write in it almost every day, whenever my brain feels too full!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really enjoyed working with graphs and charts, I couldn't believe how much clearer it was for me too look at!! That is interesting about what you said about lists maybe I will carry on and have a look at using them just to jot down ideas as this may help me to remember things as I have an awful memory.
    I wish I had kept a diary when young, I think this is why I struggled to begin with, however I am really enjoying writing down my thoughts at the end of the day.
    I think it is a great idea that you carry it around with you and write in it most of the time! I am one to over think or worry about almost everything so I can admit that I have felt more relaxed before going to bed as I have got rid of my thoughts before sleeping which I have found helpful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete