Thursday 20 November 2014

TASK 2D: Inquiry

Through the Task 2 questions I have found a lot about myself and the way I learn as an individual and how I have helped others.

My Reflective process

When finding out I had to write  journal I began to get nervous as I didn't know what to put but, as I got into it my pen flowed with so many experiences, ideas, memories and feelings I had had that day. I know that from this process I have gained a wide range of writing styles on how to reflect through writing. 
Throughout this process I have also found out what type of learner I am in so many ways. I now know that I am;
- a Reflective Observer (Kolb's theories)
- a reflective-in-action (Schon's theories)
 
Throughout the process already on the BAPP course I have learnt so much about myself and acknowledged all the different things I have done/did prior to joining.
 
I am very lucky that I will start rehearsing for 'Cinderella' the pantomime in 3 days which I am very apprehensive for as I don't know what to expect but I know I will love it as I get started. I have always loved the adrenaline rush just before you make your first entrance on the stage, my most memorable moment was walking on the Royal Albert Hall to Irish dance to 'Lord of the dance'. As well as my performance industry I love to teach and that is another thing I am passionate about as I teach RAD Ballet at the moment along with, Zumba, whilst choreographing a pantomime and have my own performing arts workshops going at the moment. I find it refreshing that I have so much to talk about from various areas of the industry and relate them to some of the work asked. I know I have far more to learn but along the way the BAPP is preparing me and helping me become the best I can be whilst being able to ask questions to those who are going along the same journey with me.
 

Questions that keep arising in my Journal and Blog's

1). The different ways I learn really opened from a teaching perspective and I started to ask myself 'how can I cater for all types of learners for my own performing arts school?'. Once I had asked my question I had already done something which had worked fantastically, 'Teaching through pictures' (Mood Boards). I would love to find out more information and ways that could enhance my teaching skills in a fun way.
 
2). When watching 'Strictly Come Dancing' my mum will always say ' I cant believe they are usig this music. When I did ballroom our music was so ridged and never chart music'. This got me thinking about how the Industry is really influenced by society. As I said in TASK 2C we have no control in the outside world and the experiences we all face. However we have seen over the years how many things have changed or how new things have emerged, such as;
-Contemporary Dance
-Chart music within Ballroom
-Dance Fitness programmes (Zumba and Street Fit)
-Street Dance and Ballet have a link
 
Step Up Film Image from Wikipedia
My question is society and culture influencing the industry or is music influencing society in order for the industry to move as well?
 

3). Can we reflect through dance? song? text? improvisation?
 
 
I look forward to looking further into these questions and researching into them a bit more to see if I can get an answer or have my own opinion on it.
 



1 comment:

  1. Kirstie - like the way you have framed these questions - that will be very useful when thinking about further inquiry questions. 1. teaching - mood boards - visuals in performance 2. contemporary aspects of working with performance - how does practice relate to cultural practice? 3. reflection and arts practice dance song text improvisation - others have been along this path but would be interesting to see what they said and done - much to be explored. Hope all is going well in your pantomime work.

    ReplyDelete