Monday 23 February 2015

Task 4A - Part 2

 Continuing from Part 1...

Within Reader 4 it talks about what the research actually means. What does research mean?
 
Primary Research - observations, interviews and surveys by using individuals who are employed in public and private arts organisations or businesses.
Practitioner Research - research the issues or topics to explore by using questions, problems and opportunities for change within the practice.
(To help with my own professional Inquiry I will identify a set of questions which can be discussed within my BAPP network and professional community.) 
 
Martyn Denscombe suggests that the purpose of your inquiry topic might act to;
- Forcast some outcome
- Explain the causes or consequences of something?
- Criticize or evaluate something?
- Describe something?
- Develop good practice?
- Empower a particular group (2002, p.41)
 
How will exploring this topic help you in what you do? Will the evidence you find out make any difference to this professional life?
The topic I am hoping to look into for my own professional inquiry will help me as a teacher and become a better performer as I will understand the ways in which different people learn and pick up movement/dance and performing arts. This will allow me to teach and understand clearer as well as find out different, exciting ways to teach all abilities. This evidence will continue to grow and help in my professional life as I would love to cater for all different abilities within the same class.
 
Secondary Sources
Secondary sources will help give me ideas about my topic I have chosen and keep a record of the better sources to be able to go back to them.
 
Worker - Researcher/Insider researcher position
 
Working with Groups and Teams
- We are more likely to work within groups than on our own, this may have its advantages as well as disadvantages.
(working in groups = linked to professional networking)
 
A GROUP OF PEOPLE ARE FORMED DUE TO SPECIFIC PROBLEMS OR PROJECTS  HAVE CAME TO AN END.
 
What is a (SIG) Special Interest Group?
SIG's are groups which are formed (can be formed in the BAPP) to increase knowledge about how you relate to your specific communities of practice or management structures in the workplace.
Web-based groups - extra care may be needed to create a sense of purpose beyond the technology.
 
Reviewing Literature for your inquiry planning
- Literature sources add to any existing knowledge you already know about the subject already.
- Literature can sometimes be difficult to extract the correct information that has relevance to the topic you have chosen. After you have found the correct info the research will be more in depth.
 
(Hart, 1998, p.53) Here Hart gives a list of the different things you would be able to extract from literature;
'arguments, events, motives, standpoint, concepts, evidence, perspective, styles, conclusions, hypothesis, politics, techniques, definitions, interpretations, problem, theory, ethics, justification, questions, ways of thinking'
When finding a source which relates to my professional inquiry make sure it is clear why you have looked into it and to show its relevance to your Inquiry!!
 
Create my own critical arguments to discuss what I have read!!

 
On the 30/01/2015 I skyped Paula Nottingham about Reader 4 and asked about my professional Inquiry. This helped a lot as I realised that some of the areas I looked at in Module 1 keep coming back as they are a big interest to myself. I enjoyed looking into Peter Senge's theory and how it linked to my own profession which helps my own organization etc. This can also relate to the interest I have about becoming a teacher who can cater for all needs and be the best teacher who can pass on the knowledge I have already gained and going to gain in the future as I progress in my profession and as a dance/performing arts teacher.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment