Friday 13 February 2015

Module 2 - Task 4A - PART 1

Since reading module 2 and reader 4 I have already started asking many questions which related back to specific questions that arose during module 1.
 

What is Professional Inquiry?

Definition of Inquiry = an act for asking for information or an official investigation.
 
Investigating a certain Professional Inquiry will be very interesting as I always learn more when I am physically involved in something I have a strong interest in and have knowledge within that particular area. This helps me engage as I want to gain more in-depth knowledge on the subject and also look into other questions that have stemmed off it.
 
Here Kahn and O'Rourke,2004 have backed up this as they tell of how we should use experiences and develop on previous knowledge we have;
'Inquiry-based learning (sometimes spelled enquiry-based learning) expects the adult learner to engage with relevant problems and scenarios, draw on existing knowledge seek out new evidence and analyse and present that evidence in appropriate ways.'
 

Work Based Learning

Work Based Learning (WBL) gives us the opportunity to use our place of work as the relaxed place of learning (a place we are used to) to approach problems we face. WBL can be very effective when a new method or idea has been produced or changed in an organization which involves more than one person.
 
Thinking to myself what do I do? Am I an employee or freelance? Am I apart of an organization, dance company, theatre a small creative company?
 
At the moment as I have just recently graduated I have my fingers in lots of pies and accept work where I can get it as well as chasing my dreams. During November/December 2014 and the beginning of January 2015 I worked freelance. Many jobs that I go and audition for are usually freelance jobs. However I also have my own business in which I am employed by and apart of as well as being apart of ZIN the Zumba instructor membership and am employed by myself to teach.
 
Peter Senge - The Fifth Discipline
 
When I looked deeper into Peter Senge's Theories I was very engaged by what he had found out.
 Peter states;
'... While all people have the capacity to learn, the structures in which they have to function are often not conducive to reflection and engagement. Furthermore, people may lack the tools and guiding ideas to make sense of the situations they face. Organisations that are continually experience their capacity to create their future require a fundamental shift of mind among their members.' (1990:3)
 
Peter then goes onto say...
'We learn best from our experience, but we never directly experience the consequences of many of our most important decisions' (1990:23)
 
Here Peter argues that we always will look to the solution which is close by and focus on that specific thing when presented with a problem. Usually we look to actions that produce improvements in a relatively short space of time. However when problems have had short-term improvements often involve very significant long-term costs.
For example cutting back on something could save you money but could damage the organisation long-term.
This really has opened my eyes about my own business as I have been approached with problems of my own business that has needed deep thought as the ideas I have had to improve quickly could of had serious damage to my business in the long term.
 
I really enjoyed reading his theories as they related to myself and my business enormously and may have opened a Professional Inquiry?
 
Are there any ideas from work based learning or organisational knowledge theories of learning that could be used to understand your own professional Inquiry?
 
From Module 1 I have been interested in how I teach and how my students learn through dance and the performing arts. I soon will be teaching a few children with learning difficulties, disabilities and mental health issues. As well as looking into and gaining more knowledge on how these specific children learn I am also interested in how others learn.
For this I will look back into Kahn and Schon as well as Argyis.
I have also became interested in Peter Senge and how it relates heavily to my new theatre school. 
 
Identifying Knowledge and Skills in the Workplace
Disciplinary = fits neatly and have specific boundaries like university and colleges allow.
Transdisciplinary = Where categories do not fit in neatly which is more related to workplace knowledge.
Interdisciplinary = when more than one discipline is being used to contextualise knowledge,
 
I found this very interesting especially the Interdisciplinary as it is relevant to myself and many other performers within the industry.
As a Professional performer who also has my own Theatre school I do not only just work within the 'performing arts' discipline but also involves knowledge related to the boundaries of business and management and education and training. I know this from working in this area under a principle of my previous dance school, and I have taken this knowledge that as a self-employed performer who is also a teacher has knowledge about acting, dance and music we must also know about the concepts and practice of education
 
Many ideas have arose and questions have started darting around my head ready for me to understand what it is I want to investigate further.
More information I have found out will follow this blog soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment