Tuesday 21 October 2014

Campus session 1 - Module 1

As I was unable to attend the campus session on the 6th October I was curious to find out what was spoken about that day.

How do the principles and practice of web-based communication support or challenge professional (arts-related) practice?
 
This question was asked on the campus session as the on-going question has moved on from the conversation since 2010 when Alan Durrant asked: 'Do Web based technologies enhance professional practice?'
 
Before asking myself the question the key words picked out was support and challenge. To get the best out of this question I really wanted to look into those two words:
 
Support: a verb - To hold something up. To give assistance to, especially financially.
a noun - material assistance.                                                                                         https://www.google.co.uk/support (2014)
 
Challenge: a noun - A call to prove or justify something.                                                                       a verb - to invite (someone) to engage in a competition.
https://www.google.co.uk/challenge (2014)                                                                                                                     
 
I have my own views on what each word means to me as an individual. Below are my own definitions of the words support and challenge:
 
Support: when someone offers you help, both physically or mentally which allows you to carry on with something that you are finding difficult at that moment in time or they are giving you help on something which needs an extra push to allow you to succeed in whatever you are wanting to achieve.
 
Challenge: when someone or something is in your way that you need to overcome to take that next step forward in your career path. This obstacle may be harder at points but if you face it and accomplish it you will feel happy within yourself.

I then began to ask questions on how the Web 2.0 and web based communications helps us in professional practice and what gives us the support as well as the challenges?

I wrote a spider diagram so I could see the pros and cons for the support it offers us along with the challenges.
My spider diagram of Challenges and Support
 
When looking at others PowerPoint's I realised the same ideas and concerns with how the web could affect us as artists if it is abused and not used correctly kept cropping up.

I think the Web is such a great source however it could harm our reputation if we do not use it correctly.
I personally feel there are more challenges than support systems but on the other hand the web is a broad network which caters for every need, we could not stop using it especially for networking and marketing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment